1. Don’t overemphasize matching specific colors in your photo to the frame color. Instead, consider the overall tone of the image when selecting a frame.
2. Select a lighter frame for casual or simple art — and choose a darker frame for more elegant or formal pieces.
3. Matching a frame to your existing room decor is more important than matching a color in your image to the frame itself. Choose a frame that either complements your current decor, or adds just the right bit of contrast.
4. To help your artwork stand out, ensure your frame color isn’t too similar to your wall color.
5. Your mat color and frame color should be different. When they’re too similar, attention is drawn to the framing rather than the artwork.